Using Reports for Reviewing Students’ Participation in a Course
There are 4 different types of reports in Moodle:
- Logs: The logs track all activity of any user in the course including specific actions of view, add, update and delete. It is highly customizable to create a report based on several parameters.
- Activity Reports: Shows the number of views for each activity and resource (and any related blog entries).
- Course Participation: A participation report can be generated for specific activities to show who has completed the activity. A useful feature of this report is the option to send a message to all students who have not completed a certain action.
- Activity Completion: This report shows who has completed an activity as indicated by the user checking the completion box. Because this is controlled by the user, it is not necessarily an indicator of whether the activity was actually completed.
Step 1. To access Reports, go to the Administration block and expand the report options by clicking on the arrow icon.
Step 2. Choose the report you wish to view.
Using the Logs Report
The “Logs” report is most commonly used. It will provide student activity data and can be customized for individual users or all users.
You will be given many options for defining the parameters of your report.
- Select the course from which you want to report. (If you are teaching more than one course, you will see ALL your courses in the pull-down menu.)
- Select the participant you want to report on. You may choose one participant or all participants.
- Choose the activity you want to report on.
- Choose the type of participant activity you want the report to include. (i.e. view, add, update, delete, all changes.) If you are specifically looking for postings added to the forum, assignments submitted, basically any student work, then select “Add”.
- Select “Get these logs”.
- The participant report will appear. If you click on the linked action (i.e. forum add discussion) it will bring you directly to that student’s posting.
- IMPORTANT: Unless you want a report for only a specific day, make sure you select All days in the date pull down box.