Step 1: Log in to Teams via your Office 365 account
- Access Office 365 through your Outlook application or launch the Teams app from your computer.
- If you have more than one Teams account, log out of your other account first.
Step 2: Select Teams, create a new Team
- Select the Teams button on the left sidebar. Click “Join or create a team”
- Select "Other" as the Team type
Step 3: Name the team, set the privacy to Private
- Name the team for the course ID and term, such as: MGMT500 WN21-1OL.
- Set the Privacy settings to Private.
Step 4: Add all of the students in your class
- Begin typing the student name in the box. Add each student as they are discovered.
- Click CLOSE when you are finished.
Step 5: Create Channels for each group of students
- Add a Channel for each group of students.
Step 6: Name the Channel, set the Privacy settings
- Set the Privacy setting. This setting cannot be changed later!
- “Private” limits access and viewing only to members of the Channel.
Step 7: Add students to each Channel
- Start typing the student name, click Add when discovered.
- Note: You can only add a student to a Channel when they have already been added to the Team, as a whole.
- When you are finished, click Close.
Step 8: Share the Team URL with students
- Share the Team link with students (post in your course).
- Direct students to enter the Channel they have access to.
Options & Techniques
Post text chat and files for all students
- To post text chat or files for all participants to access, select the General Channel.
Student participation: Check Channel analytics for student participation over time.
Pin a file at the top: To pin a file at the top, click the “3-dot” button and select “Pin to top”.
Channel info: In each Channel, click the info button on the upper right to view a snapshot of Members and activity.
Replicate a prior Team: Create a new Team by using a prior Team as a template.