In addition to the standard Moodle reports, we have made several reports available within Moodle to all course instructors.
You must be in a course you are teaching to see the reports, and you must be in Edit mode.
- Log into a course you are teaching.
- Switch to edit mode by selecting the “Turn editing on" button located at the top of the page.
- Go to the Course Menu and look for the block called “My Reports.”
- Click the report you wish to view.
The following custom reports are currently available to instructors (click on the link to be taken directly to the section of this post with report details):
- 100 My Weekly Participation
- 110 Student Weekly Participation
- 130 Student Information
- 250 Student Interactions
- 270 Student Resource Usage
- 305 Content / Week
- 315 Course Review
- 360 Assignments & Weights
The 100-level and 200-level reports are useful after the course has launched when there has been instructor and student activity.
The 300-level reports are useful prior to course launch during the course development phase.
100 My Weekly Participation
Shows the number of edits made by the instructor to various resources in the course.
110 Student Weekly Participation
Summarizes the participation of each student in the form of active contributions, e.g. posting to a discussion, submitting an assignment, completing a quiz, etc. (Viewing resources is not counted.)
- Students are listed by Last Name, then First Name (student names have been grayed out in this sample report)
- The total number of “edits” (actions taken by the student) for the entire course
- “Pre-Term” indicates the number of actions taken by the student before the official start of the term (e.g. over the weekend)
- Edits during the term are broken down by weeks. You will see zeros (0) in columns for weeks that have not yet occurred in the term. If a student continues to participate after the official end of the term, e.g. as an incomplete, this will be noted in the “Post-Term” column.
- The student’s Academic Advisor is listed for your convenience. This is a clickable link allowing you to send an email to the advisor if desired.
- A link to the logs for this student’s activity in the course is provided. Use this link to see details about all of this student’s activity in the course, including logins and page views, organized by date of participation.
- A link to the Moodle Activity Outline Report is included for each student. This will show the course outline with indications next to each item regarding student participation.
- A link to the Moodle Activity Complete Report is included for each student. This report gathers together the student participation in all activities (all posts, quiz attempts, assignment results, content views, etc.) organized by the course outline. This report takes a considerable amount of time to generate, especially for students with a lot of activity.
130 Student Information
This report displays the student’s name, linked to their profile, their email address, their academic coach, and their program and major.
250 Student Interactions
This report summarizes the interactions between the instructor and each student for the previous week (7 days) and for the entire course.
- Students are listed by Last Name, First Name. The names are linked to the student Profiles, making it easy to send a message if desired.
- A quick indicator displays whether the student participated (posted to a forum, submitted an assignment, or sent a message) within the past 7 days, and whether the instructor has communicated directly to the student (responded to a forum post, graded an assignment, or sent a message) within the past 7 days
- Activity between the student and the instructor for the past 7 days is broken out in detail by forum posts, assignment submissions, and messages.
- Activity between the student and the instructor for the entire course to date is broken out by forum posts, assignment submissions, and messages.
270 Student Resource Usage
Displays usage by students of all activities and resources in the current course by activity. Only activities and sections which are visible in the course are included.
305 Content / Week
Counts the number of Forums, Graded Activities, Resources (not including a Label). Totals of each of these types of content elements per section are provided.
315 Course Review
This report shows an overview of the elements checked by the Instructional Design team before a course is considered ready for access by students. (Note: Only visible sections and visible resources and activities are counted in this report). To see all of the report details, you can download the data as a spreadsheet file.
360 Assignments & Weights
Returns a list of grade book categories for the current course, grade book weightings, the first type of assignment included in the category, a count of different assignment types for each category, and a count of assignments for each category. Categories with weights of 0 are not included in this report. Only visible activities are included in this report.