Manual Grading Items are graded activities that can be added directly to the gradebook. These items are confined solely to the gradebook, and can therefore only be viewed, edited, and graded directly in the Gradebook. It is better to create activities, like assignments and quizzes, directly in the Moodle course so that they will be automatically added to the gradebook. An example of items which may need to be added manually are oral classroom presentations and other activities to be done outside of Moodle. To create manual grading items, follow the steps below.
- Click on Grades in the This Course link, located at the top of the course (you may also access this under the Administration block).
- Select the Setup tab from the top menu; you should automatically see the Categories and Items tab.
- Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the gradebook grid. Look in the lower right corner for the Add grade item button. Click on it to add a manual grade item. Choose Show More to see all options.
- Enter an Item name and a Maximum grade (see below).
- From the Grade category drop-down select the appropriate category.
- Click Save Changes.